I cover:

  • Why revenue importing matters
  • Quick wins I find when I implement this
  • How I pulled it off

May the better data, win

In lead generation, the best most accounts do is to track form submissions or calls.

How many calls suck? How many form submissions don’t pick up the phone?

And you’re going to be optimizing your account by treating each lead the same?

There’s a better way.

The sad state of the CRM industry

There are very few CRMs that integrate with Google Ads. Two popular ones are Salesforce and Hubspot .

For the vast majority of companies, integrating your data into Google Ads is a headache and a half.

I went through this headache and a half. Here’s what I learned

The results

On the first account I implemented this on, I improved profitability by 30% in the first month.

Subsequent accounts have seen similar results.

Here are a few insights I gained that only came with revenue importing:

  • I found keywords with higher CPA’s that reliably converted into better customers
  • Certain areas, specifically at the far reaches of the companies service area, had much lower profitability
  • Broad match keywords became a much more “safe” option, because I could determine lead quality
  • Running tROAS bidding has enabled much more profitable smart bidding that tCPA

With this strategy, optimization becomes clear and easy.

How I did it

Step one: Get all the leads in the same place

My clients are on Callrail, so I do three things to collect all the leads in one place:

  1. Use the Callrail API to import all the calls that came from Google Ads
  2. Use some custom code to send all form submissions to a database
  3. Download the Google Ads phone call extension report and upload it to my database

These get displayed in a feed where, if for some reason I wanted to do manual entry, I can manage the leads

Step two: import all the jobs from the CRM

This is done differently per client. If possible, I run a recurring program that fetches every single job from the clients CRM and store it in my database.

Step three: match records

Now that I’ve got a list of leads with:

  • Name
  • Phone number
  • Google identifier (gclid)

And a list of jobs with

  • Job ID
  • Name
  • Phone number

I match the jobs with the leads.

Step four: send to Google

With a little API magic, I send the leads to Google as their own conversion and wa-lah! Everything shows up great!